Tough lawyers for tough cases.

How to Report a Car Accident in Denver

June 22, 2020Auto Accident

A car accident in DenverColorado has over four million licensed drivers. Thus, it should surprise no one that car accidents occur frequently. However, many Coloradans have little knowledge about what to do after a car accident. For example, do you know how to report a car accident in Denver? If your answer is no, then you are not alone. The majority of Colorado drivers have no idea either. Fortunately, a Denver car accident lawyer can guide you through this process.

Colorado Accident Report Requirements

Colorado law requires you to report any accident that meets the following requirements:

  • Results in personal injury or death
  • Causes any property damage

There is no example of a car accident that would result in zero property damage. Thus, you must report your car accident to the proper authorities. If you fail to do so, then you could receive a Class Two misdemeanor traffic offense.

Reporting a Denver Accident to the Police

Were you involved in a car accident in Denver? If so, then here are three ways you can report your accident to the authorities.

Call 911

In many cases, calling 911 is the easiest way to report a car accident. However, calling 911 does not automatically mean that the police will file a report. In Colorado, they will only investigate your accident under the following circumstances:

  • There has been a death or injury
  • Individual property damage exceeds $1,000
  • If one of the drivers fails to provide proof of insurance

Nevertheless, you can still request that the responding officer file an accident report. A Denver car accident lawyer can help you obtain a copy of this report at a later date.

Call the Non-Emergency Police Line

If your car accident is less serious, then you can call the Denver Police Department non-emergency line. The number to call is (720) 913-2000.

Submit an Accident Report Online

Additionally, you can submit an accident report online with the Colorado Department of Revenue. However, you should only submit an online accident report under the following circumstances:

  • If a police officer was not called to the accident scene
  • If less than 60 days have passed since the accident date

It is important to remember that the police do not investigate accidents reported online. Thus, you will not receive an official police report. Even still, a Denver car accident lawyer will recommend that you document what happened. You could potentially use this document as evidence for your future car accident claim.

Contact Our Denver Car Accident Lawyers

Were you involved in a car accident? If so, then you should consult with an experienced Denver car accident attorney immediately. He or she can help you during this difficult time. For example, a Denver car accident attorney can help you report your crash, contact the at-fault driver’s insurance company and file a car accident claim on your behalf.

For a free consultation, give us a call. The Denver car accident lawyers at Dormer Harpring, LLC are here for you. Our number is (303) 747-4404. You can also send us a message online describing your situation. We are dedicated to helping injured victims recover financial compensation after an accident.